Monday, October 18, 2010

Apple Chipotle Chicken Wings

This is another one that I came up with on the fly because I happened to have a ton of apples left. That means it's not very precise. I wasn't very pleased with the results, but I have some ideas to improve it so I'm posting the improvements, rather than the original recipe. We found it had the perfect amount of sweetness, but not nearly enough spice.

You may be wondering why I'm posting an untested recipe. Well, I'll tell you. I mentioned the wings on a forum and someone asked me to post it. When I test it again I will update the recipe.

What you'll need:
4 Dry Chipotle Chilies (This is all I could get my hands on and I'm sure it was the downfall of my wings. If you can get fresh peppers do that and use to your taste preference.)
About 1 cup apple juice or cider
12 Chicken wings (when you cut them up you'll get 2 dozen wings.)
About 2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper
2 Large apples, cored and sliced
About 1/4 cup sugar
Dash of cinnamon
Dash of ginger

1. Heat cider, break open chilies, and put chilies into cider for about half an hour. (At this point I still couldn't cut into the dry chilies so I put it on the stove for a few minutes. I should have cut the chilies up and gutted the inside, but we were concerned it would be too spicy. Next time I'm going to do that)

2. Cut the tips off the chicken wings at the tip. Separate the wing at the elbow joint so you get two of what is commonly thought of as "chicken wings."

3. Heat the oil in a pan and pan fry the chicken wings. They should take about 10 minutes. Remove chicken wings and about half of the oil from the pan (discard oil).

4. Add apples, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, chilies, and cider to the pan with the oil. Allow this to caramelize until the apples begin to soften, stirring frequently.

5. Add the chicken wings back into the pan and stir. Cover the pan and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes. At the end of the time the chicken wings should be coated and the apples should be falling apart.

6. Remove the chicken wings and pour the remaining sauce over them.

7. Allow the wings to cool for a little while before eating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment