We had a party this weekend where we served mulled cider. The cider was awesome, and we've been drinking it ever since. We made this in the crock pot. I adapted a stove-top recipe for it. The next time I make this cider I plan to remove the spices a bit earlier in the process. After 8+ hours in the cider the spice flavor was a bit too strong.
What you'll need:
8 cups cider
4 Tbsp light brown sugar or honey
22 whole cloves
11 lemon slices (I cut the lemon into eighths, so you'll need about 1-1/2 lemons)
10 cinnamon sticks
1 cup light rum
1. Put 2 cloves into each lemon slice. I make a small cut in the rind of the lemon to slide the end of the clove into.
2. Put all ingredients into the crock pot and stir.
3. Allow to cook on low heat for a few hours.
4. Once the cider is warm and all of the flavors have integrated, remove the cinnamon and lemon.
5. Serve hot. More rum can be added at the bottom of each cup before pouring the cider in. To dress up the mug serve with a cinnamon stick in it.